Circular No: M&P/002/01/WH
3 January 2020
SCAL Briefing on Employment Act (7 January 2020)
The Employment Act (EA) was revised with effect from 1 April 2019, with changes applying to all employees, including existing and newly hired employees. The changes include:
- Wider coverage to include all employees under the EA
- Managers and executives with a monthly basic salary of more than $4,500 will be covered by the Employment Act
- All employees in Singapore, with the exception of seafarers, domestic workers and public officers, will be covered for core provisions such as: Minimum days of annual leave, Paid public holidays and sick leave, Timely payment of salary and Statutory protection against wrongful dismissal.
- Covering more non-workmen under Part IV of the EA which provides additional protections such as hours of work, rest and overtime pay
- Non-workmen earning up to $2,600 will be covered, previously only non-workmen earning up to $2,500
- Wrongful dismissal claims to be heard by Employment Claims Tribunals (ECT) instead of the Ministry of Manpower
- ECT already hears salary-related claims, the shift will provide a more convenient one-stop service to both employees and employers
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) has alerted SCAL that many construction firms were found not compliant with the EA, mostly involving in administrative requirements on written Key Employment Terms, itemised pay slips and employment record-keeping. The EA offence rate in the construction industry is also more than four times the national average.
To help raise awareness against EA offences, the Singapore Contractors Association (SCAL) is organising a briefing session on Employment Act on 7 January 2020, Tuesday at SCAL @ Construction House, 1 Bukit Merah Lane 2. We have invited speakers from MOM and Singapore Human Resources Institute (SHRI) who will be addressing the EA and Workmen Injury Compensation Act (WICA).
The seminar will covers topics on:
- Staying compliance with the Employment Act
- Employment Terms and Conditions for Workers
- Workmen Injury Compensation Act and its upcoming changes
Please click on the eDM attached below for more details and for online registration. You may also fax in your registration form to 6793 4401.
The seminar is specifically targeted for business owners, C-suite and senior executives. We would like to encourage members to attend for better understanding and compliance to the EA.
For enquiries, you may contact Ms Ange Gan / Ms Tan Wei Xuan at 6793 9020 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com