Mr Desmond Lee, Minister for Social and Family Development & Second Minister in the Ministry of National Development
Mr Hugh Lim, CEO of the Building & Construction Authority
Fellow SCAL members
Ladies and gentlemen
1. Good afternoon and a warm welcome to the SCAL CEO Lunch 2018.
2. SCAL organises this annual CEO Lunch to provide a platform for members to engage with policy makers, business leaders and other stakeholders on topical business issues affecting the industry.
3. This year I am particularly pleased and grateful to Minister Desmond Lee who has agreed to join us, as well as Mr Hugh Lim and his BCA colleagues for the strong support.
4. Over the years, SCAL has taken a leadership role in driving the growth and development of the industry. Celebrating our 80th anniversary last year, we focused on helping members improve construction workplace safety, raise productivity, and working with government and industry stakeholders to draw up the Construction Industry Transformation Map, or ITM.
5. While the ITM sets out opportunities for local construction firms to develop and grow, there are challenges the industry is facing now, for which we need to close the gap.
6. Today’s session provides us an opportunity to identify and discuss overcoming these challenges to realise our vision for a vibrant construction industry in Singapore.
7. I urge everyone to participate actively in the discussions. Please feel free to raise any issues you may have, as we do not often have the chance for a response directly from the Minister himself.
8. I wish you all a fruitful session ahead.
9. Thank you.