Mr Tan Chuan-Jin, Minister for Social and Family Development
Mr Ho Cheng Huat, Chairperson of Children’s Cancer Foundation
Ladies and gentlemen
1. I am delighted to see all of you here today at the SCAL Annual Charity Golf Tournament. I hope you have had an enjoyable game earlier. Thank you for leaving behind your busy work schedules to participate in the golf tournament in support of the Children’s Cancer Foundation. On behalf of SCAL and the organising committee, I would like to also thank Minister Tan Chuan-Jin for gracing our dinner tonight.
SCAL Annual Charity Golf Tournament
2. The SCAL Annual Charity Golf Tournament has been a success since its inception. Over the years, we have contributed to various beneficiaries such as the Pathlight School and Canossian School for the Hearing Impaired, Kidney Dialysis Foundation and the National Kidney Foundation. This has been possible with the generous support from our members and participating sponsors.
3. In particular, our last two tournaments in 2015 and 2016 contributed towards the new SCAL-NKF Dialysis Centre at Yishun Street 81. With the government’s dollar-for-dollar matching grant, and SCAL’s contribution, we surpassed our target of raising more than $1.9 million for the new centre.
4. Hence as you were out playing today, it is more than just a golf game but your contribution towards improving the quality of life of children afflicted with cancer, as well as the wellbeing of their families.
SCAL Initiatives for the community
5. In efforts to promote an active culture of corporate giving and volunteerism among our members, SCAL has been proactive in organising various CSR events yearly which include:
the Lunar New Year Celebrations with the elderly in collaboration with the Radin Mas constituency
the Blood Donation drive in collaboration with the Singapore Red Cross
Improving facilities and infrastructure at the Singapore Association of the Visually Handicapped (SAVH) in collaboration with the Building and Construction Authority (BCA).
the Clean-A-Home Programme in aid of the elderly and disabled
6. In addition, SCAL has a programme under our Lu Ban Committee which actively raises funds for the less privileged. Last year, a total of $55,000 has been raised for Nee Soon South CCC, Lions Home for the Elders and 6 schools in the Tanjong Pagar GRC.
7. As we celebrate our 80th Anniversary this year, I am heartened and humbled by the generous support from our member and everyone involved, and hope we will all keep up this spirit of volunteerism and philanthropy.
Appreciation to Donors
8. I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to our sponsors for today’s event:
Our Platinum Sponsor:
Ho Lee Construction Pte Ltd
Mitsubishi Electric Asia Pte Ltd
Our Hole-In-One Sponsor:
OCW Insurance (Brokers) Pte Ltd
Our Gold Sponsors:
Antra Koh Pte Ltd
Straits Construction Singapore Pte Ltd
Woh Hup (Pte) Ltd
9. Please join me to give them a big round of applause.
Acknowledgement of organisers
10. Last but not least, I would like to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt appreciation to Mr Eugene Yong, immediate past chairman of our CSR Sub-committee, Mr Benjamin Tan, chairman of the organising committee for today’s tournament, members of the organising committee, and the SCAL secretariat for their hard work and dedication to make today’s event a success.
11. On this note, I wish you all an enjoyable dinner and bon appetite.