Fellow SCAL members
Ladies and gentlemen
1. Good afternoon and Gong Xi Fa Cai! A warm welcome to the annual SCAL Lunar New Year Lunch. I am delighted to see many of you here to join us in our celebration. Let me start by wishing all of you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous Year of the Dog.
Achievements for 2017
2. 2017 has been a milestone year for SCAL. We celebrated our 80th Anniversary with many new initiatives, while also doing some things differently. I won’t go into details but the two most important areas we focused on were improving construction safety and raising productivity.
3. I am happy to note that we have made great progress and would like to take this opportunity to thank the chairmen and members of the subcommittees for their hard work, and all our members for their support.
4. 2017 has also been a tough year for the construction business. While sentiments continue to remain somewhat subdued, we can look forward to a better year, firstly with the government measures to boost public sector projects, and secondly, expectations for a modest increase in private sector projects.
5. BCA has anticipated the total construction demand, excluding reclamation works to expand from $24.5 billion in 2017 to between $26 billion and $31 billion in 2018. The public sector construction demand is projected to strengthen from $15.5 billion in 2017 to between $16 billion and $19 billion, contributing to about 60% of the total demand.
6. Likewise, private sector’s construction demand is expected to improve from $9 billion in 2017 to between $10 billion and $12 billion in 2018. Hopefully by end of 2018, we will see a more sustained upturn in the construction sector.
Embracing the Construction Industry Transformation Map (ITM)
7. In preparing for the future, SCAL has been actively involved in providing inputs to BCA on the Construction Industry Transformation Map, or ITM. The success of the ITM will require the collective effort of industry stakeholders, the government, companies as well as our workers.
8. I hope all member firms will start embracing strategies present in the ITM as we move towards the vision of an advanced and integrated sector with widespread adoption of leading technologies, led by progressive and collaborative firms well-poised to capture business opportunities, and supported by a skilled and competent workforce offering good jobs for Singaporeans.
9. As we enter into the new year, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members for their fervent support and I look forward to your participation for our upcoming events lined up for the year.
10. Before I conclude, I would like to highlight one of our new initiatives this year. SCAL will be organising a Foreign Workers’ Carnival which will be held on 29 April 2018 at the Soon Lee Recreation Centre in conjunction with Labour Day. We seek your kind support and participation as the sector comes together to appreciate our foreign workers.
11. Once again, may I wish one and all abundant prosperity, good health and happiness in the year of the Dog! 祝大家，身体健康， 万事如意